Social Capital Literacy Academy
Time & Location
About the Event
One reason staff have trouble connecting job seekers to gainful employment opportunities is because they just don’t spend much time thinking about the value of social networks. They aren’t aware of social network science and what that science says about how people connect to jobs and other economic opportunities. Social Capital literacy entails having the knowledge, confidence, and competencies to access, develop, and manage social capital while learning how to effectively use various skills, tools, and strategies to grow this ever-important job seeker asset. Despite how important these topics are, nearly 90% of workforce staff could not pass a quiz covering basic social capital concepts.
Workforce development professionals too often don't receive social capital training, so it’s no wonder they feel less than qualified to teach job seekers about social network literacy, analysis, and development.
By the end of the Social Literacy Academy, staff will:
● Explain the benefits of social capital building over networking.
● Examine strategies to use social capital to access labor market information.
● Define Strong, Weak, and Dormant Ties and list examples of each.
● Recognize redundancy in social capital networks and take actions to reduce it.
● Describe structural holes.
● Define bonding and bridging social capital and describe the benefits of each.
● List the dangers of social media on the social capital building process.
- SoCap Literacy Academy$1,500$1,5000$0